Saturday, July 18, 2009

Elijah and his friends

For some reason Elijah has never had a "lovey". You know, that one item that a kid latches onto that they can't sleep without? Some kids have blankets or stuffed animals. I remember back when we were "sleep training" the author of the book encouraged all kids to have some sort of comfort item like that. We offered Elijah everything to snuggle with, but he just wasn't interested.

As he got older he occasionally would request a stuffed animal to sleep with. He went through phases where he slept with a stuffed elephant, and another where he slept with his stuffed Batman. But none of these were things he couldn't sleep without.

Until now. For the past week he has said to me at naptime and bedtime, "Mommy, I need all my friends to sleep with me." And he would request certain animals from the toy box. After a few days I noticed it was always the same four. And night after night he falls asleep, clutching four stuffed animals to his chest.

The other night we sat down and named them all. It was interesting to see what ideas he had for their names.

From left to right: "Elephinner",(Not sure how to spell it exactly, but that's what he calls it.) A Christmas elephant that he had to have from Target when he was about 18 months old. Nana bought it for him. "Curious George" A monkey that Matthew and I bought him at the zoo Atlanta giftshop the summer before last. "Charlie" (My personal favorite.) A tiger that my mom bought him for his "half" birthday. And last but not least, "Swiminer" His stuffed sting-ray from the Georgia Aquarium.Or collectively as they are known, "My friends".

2 comments:

Mama Mia said...

VERY cute. B doesn't have one item either, he has a few buddies that he needs in his bed, and he picks two trains, or matchbox cars to sleep w/ at nap and bed time...B has that shirt too, I LOVE IT..

Joanna said...

I love Swiminer. How cool that he has a sting-ray.

As far as the lovey thing goes...count yourself lucky that he doesn't have a "Shirt".