Let's start with the biggest kid. Elijah finished first grade back in May, and I've been meaning to blog about the awesome school year we had. Of course nothing can really compare with his Kindergarten year where he mastered reading. But he still learned a lot. Not surprisingly his best subjects are reading, spelling and Language. He started off the school year already reading well above his grade level and now, well I don't even bother checking his reading level anymore, there's nothing he can't read!
He started out the year really wanting to learn a language and Matthew and I decided Latin would be best for all of us. (Hey a language I'm sort of qualified to teach!) Matthew did a great job putting together fun and easy lessons every day for us. Now he can conjugate his verbs with the best of them! In the past month or so I've really seen his spelling take off. He's been in the habit of spelling things out loud lately and it was only last week that I decided to test him. Since then I found a spelling level test online and found out he basically spells on a fifth grade level. So exciting and I already have big plans to get him in spelling bees to win a college scholarship! (I'm kidding, sorta.)
Anyway he's wicked smart and we couldn't be prouder of him. We're all looking forward to the new challenges second grade will bring us in the fall!
Here he is enjoying the business section of the New York Times with his morning bowl of Cheerios. I'M KIDDING! This photo was staged, but after I tried to take it back he protested and said it was interesting! Ha ha.
On to Sophia, who literally is getting big! She's getting to the point where it's difficult to carry her everywhere and she continues to outgrow everything! We had been casually potty training her since around her second birthday in May with moderate success. But while Matthew was gone for two weeks I really started working with her more and things really started to click for her. She's now wearing undies at home during the day and we're starting to get a little braver taking her out without a diaper. It seems like every day she's starting to talk more and more. Though she still has trouble sometimes communicating what she wants exactly which results in meltdowns. She's trying hard to keep up with her brother and tries to count and say her ABCs. Oh and she's decided she doesn't really like sippy cups anymore and prefers to drink from her pirate mug she calls "cocky". (Coffee)
She is still sweet, hilarious and a pain sometimes but we wouldn't trade her for anything. She likes dressing herself these days. Right now she's wearing a pink tutu, a Braves t-shirt and pink crocs. Pretty typical attire for a two year old, I think.
Here she is having her morning coffee. It's actually milk, or "mut" as she calls it.
No comments:
Post a Comment