Monday, October 17, 2011

Good Idea/Bad Idea

For me, one of the most challenging parts of being a homeschool mom is finding a good balance between fun and learning. I want school to be fun, of course, who doesn't? But at the same time I have to be able to bring things down a notch so that we can actually learn something. Obviously this wasn't much of a problem when Elijah was in preschool. Preschool is fun! Kindergarten we had to get a little more serious. And first grade? Well, we all know how serious first grade can be!


I'm kidding, really. And we do have plenty of fun. But it's hard some days to not get caught up in the seriousness of it all. Sometimes you just have to let loose and have a little fun...and make messes. You don't know how hard that is for me. See, I have a little thing called OCD (well not officially or anything) things like Play-Doh are strictly forbidden in my house. Basically anything that makes a mess. So you can understand that my crafty skills are pretty lame. Just the mention of the words "glitter" and "glue" and my heart starts to race a little...not in a good way! Now, ask me to teach math, or Latin verbs and I'm your girl! But crafts?? No can do...



Which leads me to this picture....clearly I'm learning how to step outside my comfort zone these days!



IMG_2088


IMG_2087
This kid I can trust with paint!


IMG_2086
This one not so much!


IMG_2089
See!!! I put one of Elijah's old shirts on her, somehow it's very fitting.



IMG_2094
She painted her neck red, seriously!

2 comments:

Jelly said...

A friend gave us one of these easels earlier this summer, but I haven't taken it out of the garage. I have two that I'd have to watch like a hawk... I'm not sure I could handle the ensuing mess - and I DO allow play-doh and glitter glue, hahaha!

Kara said...

Ha, this is funny! I also do not allow play-doh. Love the first picture.