Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sleep Training

I've recently started the monumental task of "sleep training" with Elijah. As some of you know he has never been a good sleeper, and has NOT ONCE slept through the night! At his age, though, that is not uncommon. I, the new mommy that I am, assumed he would just outgrow it, now I realize that is not going to be the case. ( I tell Matthew that Elijah will be waking up asking me for a bowl of cereal every night at three am. ) Before Christmas we had finally gotten him to go to bed "early" at nine thirty and only get up once to eat. It was awesome! But during all of the Christmas traveling he got messed up. Lately our nights involve lots of rocking and lots of waking up, about 4-5 times a night!!! So, my mom ordered me a book about sleep training and we started immediately!! The first three nights he was in bed by eight thirty!! He didn't sleep well, but the early bedtime was enough accomplishment for me! Tonight he didn't go be until ten, but get this, he went to sleep on his own!! No hours of rocking!! I rocked him for five minutes until he was a little drowsy, put him down in his crib, he looked around a little, snuggled with his blanky and went to sleep!!! I was astonished!! (Okay enough exclamation points already, Cacey) Anyway, the author of this book says that if babies can learn to self-soothe that they will soon start sleeping through the night. Although, it can take anywhere from 20-60 days. So we will see, as for now I'm pretty happy with our small success!

No comments: