Monday, December 27, 2010

Blizzard of 2010


Like the title? That's what all the news stations up here were calling it last night. In case you haven't heard, the entire North East part of the country got completely pummeled by a huge snowstorm yesterday. I'm not sure at what point it officially became a blizzard, but that's apparently what it was. Our part of the state was forcasted to get 10"-12" of snow. It started yesterday morning around nine. Matthew hasn't been feeling well, so we had already decided to stay home from church. Since we were running out of coffee (yikes!) I decided to run down to the grocery store real quick to pick up a few things. Well, me and everyone else in town! It was worse than the mall the Saturday before Christmas. Remember I said we went to play football on the Green on Christmas day and it wasn't that cold? It was cold out yesterday morning! As I was coming home the snow was just beginning to fall. And boy did it fall and fall.

What made it such a terrible storm was not the snow itself, we get plenty of that throughout the winter, but it was the wind. I think we had 55 mph winds, they said it was equivalent to a category 1 hurricane and over the night it would be as strong as a category 2! They weren't lying either. Last night after dinner we watched "Beauty and the Beast" (Sophia's first Disney movie) and then put the kids to bed. Eventually Matthew and I went to bed as well, but quickly realized we weren't going to get any sleep. The wind was blowing so hard and rattling the windows so loudly neither of us could sleep. I think we both dozed off several times only to be woken by the loud storm. At one point we just got up and watched TV for a while. When we came back to bed we heard a loud metallic banging sound outside and looked to see the gutter hanging off the house next door. It continued to bang loudly against the house all through the night.

So, we didn't get much sleep. But we are thankful that we didn't lose power. Especially when no power means no heat! It had mostly stopped snowing by this morning. I'm not sure how much we actually got, because of the wind it blew into drifts everywhere. The roads were pretty clear, so after lunch we bundled up and drove to the Green to play for a few minutes. Compare these pics with the ones from Christmas day! Unfortunately the wind was still gusting pretty strong and our youngest family member, the one born in New England, mind you, decided she really did not like the snow. We made it a short excursion for that reason.



This is how I got them to the car, which was parked across the street in a parking lot.
Daddy took them for a spin.

Making snow angels.


Can you see the wind blowing the snow everywhere?



Not.Happy.




The boys had to play a little football.
The kids before we left the house.

No comments: