Though the storm wasn't too catastrophic, we've definitely seen it's effects along the coastline here. Just Tuesday night Matthew and Elijah went to a baseball field directly across from the water and found it wet and stinky. Every single blade of grass was dead from the saltwater. We were lucky our little beach survived. Just a few hundred yards East and the beach was pretty much washed completely away, nothing left behind but rocks.
Wednesday the kids and I decided it would be okay to go for a walk down by the beach. It's pretty much our most favorite place to go outside, but we had been staying away in case of clean up being done along the boardwalk. I was a little worried what we might find. But we were pleasantly surprised to see that most of the beach area and surrounding areas were still very much intact. If not for a few fallen trees, dead bushes and flowers (again from the salt water) and some broken fences along the board walk, you wouldn't even have known Irene hit us. Although there were huge signs everywhere warning people not to get in the water, I'm not sure why.
You might recognize the area in the pictures below from a previous post (here). It's a favorite spot of ours. As you can see it's mostly unchanged, except for the missing fence posts. Again the grass was mostly dead, and I'm not gonna lie, it smelled like dead fish!
Ha ha, Elijah looks funny. They were "dancing" in the gazebo. Stomping their feet and spinning in circles.
They were trying to get a better look at the view. Too bad Mommy didn't have any quarters!
Silly girl!
Running! I know I don't have hardly as many pictures of Elijah, but he runs away from me!
Here you can see all the sand washed up onto the boardwalk. Elijah had to get off his bike and push just to make it through!
Anyway, that's about the long and short of it. Personally, I'll take snowstorms anyday. Florida can keep the hurricanes! (Sorry Mom and Dad!)
No comments:
Post a Comment