Thursday, March 10, 2011

Play Time


Ever since right around Christmas Sophia has been at the age where she will actually play with toys. When Elijah was a baby this age was one of my favorites, finally he could entertain himself! If you set him on the floor with a bunch of his favorite toys he was happy to play for at least an hour without fussing. I didn't know how good I had it back then! Sophia, well, even with the right toy you can only buy yourself ten minutes or so, if that. As you can imagine that makes things pretty crazy around here. At least she takes a long morning nap so Elijah and I can do school together.

Anyway, she has only a few things that will completely keep her attention for longer than five seconds. One of them is her play table, which she likes because she can stand up and play with it. The other thing that is guaranteed to make her happy? Elijah's Star Wars toys, of course. Also the one thing that she's not supposed to play with! Occasionally I let her have one of the Princess Leias that I got for Christmas and that makes her pretty happy, until she tries to chew off her head. Ugh, bad idea.

This is a pretty typical scene around here, the kids playing this morning...

Sophia playing happily with Duplos, Elijah with his Star Wars figures.
Sophia forgetting all about her Duplos and going after Elijah's action figures.
Finally Elijah goes over and plays Duplos with Sophia. Yeah, this lasted about five minutes, but it was nice while it did!
I don't know what I was thinking, wanting her to crawl so badly. I guess I'd forgotten how much work it would be chasing her around, making sure she doesn't get into anything she shouldn't. When Elijah was a baby we lived in a 600 square foot apartment, we have about twice that now, so it's a lot more work. No wonder I've only been up for an hour and am tired already!

No comments: